Monday, October 26, 2015

Let's Talk Stereotypes: Commercials

I adore all things kitschy and terrible, so the fact that people upload old commercials onto youtube is terrible for my productivity. One of my all time favorites is this awful Jell-o commercial depicting a "small Chinese-type baby" struggling with the "famous western delicacy" of Jell-o because he only has chopsticks.

https://youtu.be/Fp20Qli57Q8

Is this commercial racist?  I'm sure it's used as an an example of racism by teachers in classes, but I think its important to recognize the difference between stereotyping and racism.  In my mind stereotyping is built on old and narrow assumptions one group of people has about another while racism is linked to the idea that there is a genetic or cultural difference making one race superior to or more human than another. I would argue that this commercial stereotypes Chinese based on Americans limited understanding of Chinese culture.  While it is racial stereotyping it is not implying that Chinese people are inferior to Americans.  The accent is terrible but it reflects more of a narrow idea of Chinese culture and not that they are lesser people.  The only aspect that might be racist is the idea that the spoon is a western invention which the Chinese never thought of.  I know for a fact that the Chinese used spoons far before Jell-o but it certainly makes for a good punchline and I suspect none of the makers of this commercial would not have debated someone who told them that "hey, you know you missed a huge part of a complex culture."  I'm not saying its not problematic but I don't  know if it should be categorized as "racist."  That doesn't mean that all commercials are simply stereotyping races. This ad for AsianDate.com from 2014 has some far more troubling implications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_bGjxVQS-4

My friend told me about this ad when he saw it on TV and it blows my mind that this is a real thing.  While dating sites based on race have become commonplace, this commercial is bound to make you feel creepy.  It's because it is rooted in the inherent sexualization of Asian women.  I come from a mixed race background, with my mom being Chinese and my Dad American. I don't think he  was attracted to my mother due to her mastery of the "Art of The Welcome."  There is a legacy of the "sexual oriental," largely relating to the way we portray mixed race couples(here's an interesting article on the subject https://garrisonmonti.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/female/). These women are presented as a way to "expand your world of dating" and while they are being objectified based on their sex they are also being objectified based on their race.  These are not people but exotic flowers which will spice up your dull dating life. We are born to think within a progress narrative, but what is more harmful?: an over-simplified view of a culture or an over-sexualized view of people as objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment