Thursday, October 22, 2015

Who Am I? #1

Is it possible for a theater kid to not sing that question?  I don't think so. I'm not even a huge "Le Miserables" Fan and I always melodramatically sing "WHO AM I!!!!?' in my head.

Any-who...The idea behind posts with this title will be me exploring issues surrounding identity.  I feel that personal identity becomes a bigger problem when we have a society that values individual freedom while simultaneously endorsing a very utilitarian outlook on the world.  With the rise of popular sociology I feel that people are even more willing to fit into a box or put others into boxes, a big temptation for someone studying culture and society! Don't let society continue to chip away at human dignity.  I encourage everybody to take the time to reflect on their own identity. Maybe if we take time to find our own dignity beyond what we produce we can be better equipped to recognize inherent human dignity in others.

My first reflection is about my Chinese heritage.

The National Flag Anthem of the Republic of China
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPiPgvZjNtg

Magnificent mountains and rivers, (with) bountiful and diverse goods;
Descendants of Yan and Huang, to be the heroes of East Asia.
Never abandon in desperation, nor being complacent with achievement,
Glorify our nation and work promoting Great Unity.
Pioneering work was full of hardships and (we should) commemorate those founders and martyrs,
Maintaining (their heritage) is not easy and never seek only for instant benefit.
With one heart and one soul, carrying (these virtues) from beginning to end,
Blue Sky, White Sun, and a Wholly Red Earth!

My Chinese heritage actually can be a rough subject for me.  In many ways I have totally given into the temptation to reject it, to simply be a "normal American."  I barely speak the language, still can't keep the dynasties straight, and often find myself looking down at Chinese cultural norms.
However,the physical reality is that half of me is Chinese, half of me is a child of the Yan and Huang. One of my parents, the team that brought me into the world, is Chinese.  No matter how muted or distorted my mother's point of view was due to the American context of my upbringing she still is part of who I am. I often wonder why Chinese history or patriotism can still move me even though I am so separated from that part of my identity.  My mother never tried to instill any particular national pride and I was unfamiliar with most of Chinese history until recently. The very anthem I included has had an identity crisis in its own right.  Since it belongs to the Republic of China and not the People's Republic of China this anthem isn't recognized as officially Chinese by most of the world. In fact when Taiwan(ROC) participates in the Olympics and their flag is raised modified lyrics are used  to avoid political implications. While this reality seems to negate the ideals espoused by this anthem I think you'd be hard pressed to not find comradery between Chinese people, no matter what government they live under.  The relatively recent rise of the communist government is just another part of China's history which has seen numerous political regimes.  My mother has never been to mainland China but she certainly identifies herself as Chinese.  "Being Chinese" doesn't reside in political lines (though it could be argued that with younger people in Taiwan and Hong Kong this has occurred to an extent).  In contrast, "being American" is inherently invested in our republican political system, as it could be argued that politics were the very reason The United States was founded.  So while I may identify more as "American" it does not have as strong sense of "a people" like the Chinese have developed through centuries of political change.  Even though it is only half of my heritage, I share in this tradition. No matter where I go and what I do I always will be half-Chinese and share, at least partially, in the tradition of unity among Chinese people.

No comments:

Post a Comment